We have had the same Bible verse taped to our refrigerator for as long as I can remember:
“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (Isaiah 41:10).
This verse sustained us during the long, lonely days of the pandemic, when my husband faced job insecurity, when I struggled with panic attacks, when my oldest daughter received her autism diagnosis, and we were anxious for her future. No matter the situations we have faced as a family, when fear has made its inevitable but unwelcome entrance into our lives, this Bible verse has been a steady reminder of who can help us overcome our fear.
Now more than ever, we need tangible reminders of God’s truth to hold on to—particularly during such unsettling times. As the cares of the world weigh heavy and the countless ‘what ifs’ keep us awake at night, many of us have felt powerless to fight against this spirit of fear that has us firmly in its grasp.
Yet this spirit of fear does not come from God (2 Timothy 1:7). His “perfect love casts out fear” (1 John 4:18), and He has promised over and over again in His Word to walk alongside us when we feel afraid—to protect us, to provide for us, and to give us the final victory over our fears.
50 BIBLE VERSES ABOUT OVERCOMING FEAR
Here are 50 powerful Bible verses about overcoming fear to encourage and sustain you during fearful times.
THE FUTILITY OF FEAR
1. “And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest” (Luke 12:25-26)?
2. “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise—in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me” (Psalm 56:3-4, NIV)?
3. “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid” (Psalm 27:1)?
4. “Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath” (Psalm 39:4-5, NLT).
5. “The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me” (Psalm 118:6)?
GOD HOLDS OUR FUTURE
6. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble” (Matthew 6:34).
7. “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope” (Jeremiah 29:11).
8. “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths” (Proverbs 3:5-6).
9. “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28).
10. “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand” (Proverbs 19:21).
GOD IS WITH US
11. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9).
12. “Even though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and staff, they comfort me” (Psalm 23:4).
13. “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” (Isaiah 41:10).
14. “For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38-39).
15. “It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed” (Deuteronomy 31:8).
GOD IS OUR PROVIDER
16. Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them” (Luke 12:27-30).
17. “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19).
18. “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom” (Luke 12:32).
19. “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change” (James 1:17).
20. “If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him” (Matthew 7:11)!
GOD IS OUR PROTECTOR
21. “He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day” (Psalm 91:4-5).
22. “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea” (Psalm 46:1-2).
23. “But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: ‘Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior” (Isaiah 43:1-3a).
24. “I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade on your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore” (Psalm 121:1-8).
25. “Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not panic or be terrified by them. For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory” (Deuteronomy 20:3b-4, NIV).
GOD IS OUR PEACE
26. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid” (John 14:27).
27. “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
28. “In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety” (Psalm 4:8).
29. “Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all” (2 Thessalonians 3:16).
30. “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever; for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock” (Isaiah 26:3-4).
GOD HAS THE FINAL VICTORY
31. “But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 15:57).
32. “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul” (Matthew 10:28a).
33. “Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, ‘Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you” (Isaiah 35:3-4, NIV).
34. “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die” (John 11:25-26).
35. “He will swallow up death forever! The Sovereign Lord will wipe away all tears. He will remove forever all insults and mockery against his land and people. The Lord has spoken” (Isaiah 25:8, NLT).
GIVE YOUR FEARS TO GOD
36. “The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7).
37. “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).
38. “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7, NIV).
39. “Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you” (Psalm 55:22).
40. “I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4).
TRAIN YOUR MIND, BODY, AND SPIRIT
41. “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests” (Ephesians 6:13-18).
42. “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:8-9).
43. “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect” (Romans 12:2).
44. “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5, NIV).
45. “I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self control” (2 Timothy 1:6-7).
SHARE THE BURDEN
46. “Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up” (Proverbs 12:25, NIV).
47. “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up” (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, NIV).
48. “Just as iron sharpens iron, friends sharpen the minds of each other” (Proverbs 27:17, CEV).
49. “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective” (James 5:16, NIV).
50. “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2, NIV).
We pray these powerful Bible verses about overcoming fear serve to encourage and sustain you during fearful times. In all situations, may you look to Him who has promised to be your strength and your sustenance.
15 SIMPLE WAYS TO ADD JOY TO YOUR DAY IN LESS THAN AN HOUR
Need a little extra joy in your day?
Our team has put together this FREE printable for our readers to help you infuse joy into your life quickly. Enter your name and email below and we’ll send this fun printable right over!