Our grandparents play an irreplaceable role in our lives. The blessing of these relationships and the rich lasting memories that they can create is something we should all cherish and preserve. To help you learn more about and celebrate the grandparents in your life, we’ve compiled a list of life story interview questions to be used in a written or video interview.
Compiling a conversation heirloom such as this one is such a special gift to pass on to future generations who may never otherwise know these sweet souls and the beauty of their lives. This personal interview also makes for the perfect Grandparents Day gift. Reserve some quiet time or a special dinner with your grandparents, or elderly friends that may be dear to you, to ask some or all of these intentional life story interview questions and record their answers. Preserving the memories of their lives will leave an untold legacy and be a gift for the whole family for years to come!
Life story interview questions:
19 QUESTIONS ABOUT THEIR CHILDHOOD
- Where were you born and raised?
- What kind of toys did you play with when you were a kid? Did you have a favorite toy?
- What were your parents like?
- Tell me what your neighborhood was like.
- What did you like to do in the summer?
- What was your house like growing up?
- Did you have any siblings?
- Who was your best friend and what were they like?
- What was your childhood bedroom like?
- What was your favorite book as a child?
- Did you have any pets?
- Did you have a nickname as a child? What did you think about it?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Tell me about your schooling and how it was different then.
- What were you like in school?
- Did you play any sports or participate in any after-school activities?
- What was your relationship with your parents like when you were a teenager?
- What was your favorite meal growing up in your home?
- Tell me about what your family did on the weekends.
19 QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR GRANDPARENTS’ RELATIONSHIP
- How did you meet each other?
- What did you first notice about Grandma/Grandpa?
- Did you go on an official first date? What was it like?
- What is the age difference between you two?
- When did you know you wanted to marry Grandma/Grandpa?
- When did your parents meet Grandma/Grandpa? What did they think of them?
- How long did you know each other before you got married?
- When and where did you get married, and what was your wedding like?
- What is/was your favorite thing about Grandma/Grandpa?
- Do you have any funny stories from when you were dating or first married?
- Did you go on a honeymoon? What was it like?
- What is your favorite vacation you took together?
- Was there anything that surprised you about being married to Grandma/Grandpa?
- What is your favorite memory of Grandma/Grandpa?
- What activities did you/do you enjoy doing together?
- Is there anything you have learned about yourself since being married to Grandpa/Grandpa?
- What is your favorite quality of Grandma/Grandpa?
- Tell me about the best decision you ever made together.
- What has been hardest about being married, and how have you overcome that together?
15 QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR GRANDPARENTS BEING PARENTS
- What is the birth order of your kids?
- What were your kids like when they were young? How did their personalities differ?
- Tell me about the rules in your house when your kids were little.
- What were the rules as the kids got older?
- What was one thing that was really different from your home/family life as a child vs. your home/family life as a parent?
- Who got along the best in the family? Who fought the most?
- As a parent, do you feel you are more like your mother or your father and why?
- Who was the stricter parent?
- What were my parents like growing up?
- What was your favorite family vacation or outing?
- Is there something valuable you learned from your own parents that made you a better parent?
- What did you learn from your hardest parenting moment?
- What would you go back and change about raising your family if you could? Was there anything you would do all over again?
- Did you have favorite books to read or songs to sing to your kids when they were little?
- What was one of your favorite traditions you developed with your kids?
16 QUESTIONS ABOUT THEIR FAITH
- When did you put your faith in Jesus and become a Christian?
- What has made your faith stronger over the years?
- Have you ever doubted your faith? What got you through that?
- Did you ever go through difficult times that ended up strengthening your faith?
- What would be your advice to your family for remaining grounded in their faith?
- Did you go to church with your family growing up? What church did you attend?
- Have any of your biblical viewpoints changed over your lifetime?
- What is your favorite book of the Bible and why?
- What is your favorite Christian book (aside from the Bible) and why?
- Are there verses that have been most meaningful to you?
- What Christian character traits have been most important to you in your life?
- What has been one of your biggest weaknesses in life and how has your faith helped you grow in that?
- Do you have a prayer that you’ve consistently prayed or continue to go back to throughout the different phases of your life?
- Did you have a spiritual mentor at any point in your life? Tell me about them and what their influence meant to you.
- How would you describe who God is and who has He been to you throughout your life?
- Besides Jesus, who are you most excited to see/meet in Heaven?
17 QUESTIONS ABOUT THEIR PERSONAL LIFE AND CAREER(S)
- What was your first job?
- What was your favorite job?
- Tell me about your most difficult job.
- What made you choose the career that you choose?
- Do you have any regrets about not pursuing another career?
- Were you ever let go from a job? How did that make you stronger?
- Is there any dream that you wish you had pursued?
- Have you ever met anyone famous? Tell me what the experience was like.
- What accomplishment are you most proud of?
- What is your most embarrassing moment?
- Do you have a special talent?
- Did you go to college? What college did you attend?
- Did you earn a degree? What was your major?
- What were your college years like?
- Who was your favorite boss, and why were they your favorite?
- What was one of your most memorable purchases in your life?
- What hobbies have you enjoyed the most throughout your life?
13 QUESTIONS ABOUT MILITARY SERVICE (IF APPLICABLE)
- What branch did you serve in, and what was your rank and role?
- What made you decide to join the military?
- When did you serve and for how long?
- Where did you go to basic training?
- Where did you serve?
- Did you receive any special medals or recognition?
- What did you enjoy most and least about your military service?
- Did you ever serve in a war?
- What was one of your most difficult experiences in the military and how did you overcome it?
- Did you make any lifelong friends in the military? Do you still keep in contact?
- If you had it to do over, would you choose military service or a different career path? Why?
- Who are some of your military heroes?
- What was it like being away from your family?
Do you have any life story interview questions that you would add to this list? Share them in the comments below!
15 SIMPLE WAYS TO ADD JOY TO YOUR DAY IN LESS THAN AN HOUR
Need a little extra joy in your day?
Our team has put together this FREE printable for our readers to help you infuse joy into your life quickly. Enter your name and email below and we’ll send this fun printable right over!
Share This Post
Your list of questions for grandparents is thoughtful and thorough. I never knew grandparents and keep hearing about what I missed. I’m now a grandmother and have twenty great grandchildren.
I have written a document covering a lot of these questions which I titled “DECADES.” It is written in two columns, the left for myself, the right for my husband. Details of each decade of our lives are written side-by-side. It turned out well.
Just wanted to share my idea with you. God bless.